"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, This day will be gone forever; in its place will be something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
- Author Unknown
You can help for free!
Here are links to help for FREE! Click each one every day to support the cause and spread the word!
The Petition Site
is another great way to help out causes for free.
It's also an in-depth look at what is happening in the world that the media doesn't talk about as much.
- Zombie Squad realizes that it is quite possible for someone to live their entire lives without encountering the undead nuisance. However, we hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything. Zombie Squad is very serious about promoting public awareness of the need for survival preparation and contingency planning.
- Instead of a Walk for Hunger or something, it's Game for Children's Hospitals! Win Win!
- Population Connection working to try to keep the Population Overgrowth as under control as possible through education and legislation.
Locks of Love - Donate your long hair to help make wigs for children going through chemotherapy as well as children with severe heredetary hair loss. Yours will grow back - theirs won't.
- Big Brothers / Big Sisters of America, giving kids someone to look up to. You can Volunteer or Donate! You can even enroll your own child.
- Volunteer from home to be a trained listener. Sometimes people need a neutral stranger to talk with. Since most random strangers wouldn't want to listen to you, this place is great, because there are strangers here for the very PURPOSE of listening to you. Vent or be a listener. It's very helpful and uplifting on both sides.
- Feed the Hungry by buying gifts that donate for you
Farm Aid - helping the farmers grow the food to feed the hungy (and everyone else in the world!). Helping farmers helps everyone.
- Ebay Foundation - helping not-for-profit organizations so communities can help themselves.
- Shelter our Sisters
in Hackensack, NJ helps shelter abused women and their children until they can get back on their feet.
- Pointer Rescue - Foster or adopt a homeless pointer, or donate food, supplies or money to help those pointers in need. They're officially hunting dogs, but I've never met a mean pointer in my life.
In memory of Holly
Wolves & Wolfdogs are rescued at Candy's Kitchen. See how you can help through sponsorship, adoption, or even through the gift shop. Each wolf and wolfdog has a story and a photo on the site so you know who you're supporting.
- The American Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals"> - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. You can find pets to adopt, ways to donate your money or your time, and even some job opportunities!
- Rescue a Grehound from a life of cages and muzzles and cruel behavior. You gain a friend, they gain a chance at life. If you can't commit yourself to caring for a Greyhound, you could also donate. Any amount would be appreciated.
- Lakota Wolf Preserve in North Western New Jersey is a haven for all sorts of animals - Arctic Wolves, Timber Wolves, Tundra wolves, Foxes, Bobcats, and even Whitetail deer. The preserve is right next to a Camp Taylor where you can spend the weekend. There is plenty of free-roaming wildlife there, too, like blackbears, racoons and wild birds.
- Great Cats of the World - here to inform the public about tigers, lions, leopards and other great cats while raising money to support their own collection of wild cats. (I saw them at the Duchess County Faire in NY and my fiancee got his photo taken with a tiger!)
- Dolphin Fantaseas is not only a home and a fundraiser for Dolphins, but also for other aquatic creatures like Starfish, Tortoises, Hermit crabs and StingRays. Their programs educate local children about the harmfulness of pollution and the beauty of creatures of nature. They also have programs where you can swim with the dolphins and feed the sting rays yourself!
- The Roar Foundation to help rescue wild animals (Tigers, Lions, Elephants and more) from being held as circus performers, on-sceen actors or even exotic pets.
Defenders of Wildlife
Sponsor an animal (Wolves, sea otters, whales, bears, dolphins, owls, panthers, etc.), learn the plight of these creatures and why they need our help, save a habitat, and even see exactly where your money goes. Great site and resource! They even give plush toys for animal sposorship!
National Arbor Day Foundation - Plant a tree in someone's memory, save the rainforest, or replant the National forest lost in fires. Planting trees produces oxygen, provides shade and protection for wildlife, they cut down wind resistance and add beauty to any neighborhood or street.
- HAWAII is the sole home to one-third of all the threatened and endangered species in the United States. Lokahi, the balance in nature, has been destroyed in many parts of these beautiful islands. The native culture of Hawaii is also being lost, swept up in modern society. This site provides a list of varied links to help and educate.
- With a little help, chocolate may save Ecuadorís rainforest. As long as the regionís people can earn a living by cultivating cacao they will not have to turn to logging and cattle ranching, the two biggest threats to the remaining rainforest.
...AND YOU'RE SAVING CHOCOLATE!!! ^_^
- Speaking of Cholocate, CafeCanopy.com has the MOST delicious chocolate! Their coffee I hear is also great! All their products are organic, and most are grown in the rainforests. The diversity of crops grown together hightens the immunity of each plant, so they don't need or use pesitcides, saving the environment around them! Buying these products helps the rainforest, the environment, the farmers and heightens education! And you get the highest quality!
- Save the Rainforests by buying gifts that donate for you
- Air Purifying Lightbulbs - Yes, they exist and can even help in those winter months where certain people suffer sunlight deprivation depression! They're a little expensive, but last about 3 years each... they even come in night lights!
- Clean Air and ways to reduce pollution. We all need to breathe!
- The Green School is a place to learn aboput the dangers of air pollution, water pollution and all sorts of hazards that our Earth is facing today. It offers ways we can help reduce this pollution and help clean up the damage already done.
- Donate to Elfwood and help encourage artists, writers and imagineers. It's a not-for-profit organization located in Sweden with artists and writers world wide.
Sickness and Disease
- American Heart Association
- American Cancer Society
- Children's Hospital Foundation
- SOPE - teaching the world to wash their hands. Seriously - it can prevent Hepatitis A, menengitis, and all other sorts of icky diseases.
If you woke up this morning with more health than illness,
you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep,
you are richer that 75% of this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet and spare change in a dish someplace,
you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthiest people.
If you can hold someone's hand, hug them, or even just put an arm around their shoulder,
you are blessed because you can offer a healing touch.